Violent Crime Rates in South Korea
To view data, click on the chart
Source: Extracted from Korean National Police Agency’s Crime Analysis [Beomjoe Bunseok]. Annual report; also you can find another statistics in English version on Korean National Police Agency, statistics in “Archive”
Four offenses were extracted from the source and adjusted to set to UCR Part I violent crime index: Criminal Homicide, Forcible Rape, Robbery, and Aggravated Assault.
(1) Between 1997 and 2000, violent crime rate increased sharply. During that time (December of 1997 to August of 2001), South Korea was under the International Monetary Fund (IMF) bailout program.
(2) Violent crime rate per 100,000 population in 2005 was 476.4, a decrease of 19.9 percent over the 2000 rate.
Six-Year Trends Comparison, Violent Crime Rate in South Korea and the United States, 2000-2005
US Data Source: FBI, The Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) Part I Index Crime http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm#cius
(1) The estimated rate of Violent Crime (per 100,000 population) for the United States in 2005 was 469.2, a decrease of 7.4 percent over the 2000 rate.
(2) In 2000, South Korea had higher violent crime rate than the United States did (594.5 and 506.5, respectively). Since 2002, the rate for South Korea had been parallel to the rate for the United States.
(3) In detail, violent crime for Korea and the US, however, had been quite different phases each other. In short, one offense, aggravated assault, led to high violent crime rate of South Korea while the other offenses showed lower rates.
To view more specifics, click on charts below.
Ciatation Information (APA 5th):
Byun, S. Violent Crime Rates in South Korea. Retrieved [Access date], from https://ataglance.wordpress.com/2006/12/24/violent-crime/
||murder and nonnegligent manslaughter|
8 Comments »
- Motor Vehicle Theft Rate in South Korea
- Larceny/Theft Rate in South Korea
- Burglary Rate in South Korea
- Table 4. Trends Comparison in South Korea and the U.S.
- Table 3. Property Crime Trends in South Korea
- Table 2. Violent Crime Trends in South Korea
- Table1. Crime Trends in South Korea
- tag test [table]
- Drug Arrest Rates in South Korea
- Aggravated Assault Rates in South Korea
- Robbery Rates in South Korea
- Forcible Rape Rates in South Korea